PeloPics: BMC Racing Team’s Tejay van Garderen rocketed to a decisive stage victory and the overall race lead at the Amgen Tour of California individual time trial in San Jose/Morgan Hill.
Van Garderen began the day in 8th place overall, exactly one minute behind the race leader Egan Bernal, Team Sky’s 21-year-old Columbian rider. Van Garderen, who picked up two Grand Tour stage wins in 2017 at the Giro d’Italia and the Vuelta a España (Time Trial stage), made up that minute and more on the 21.6-mile loop, causing the Amgen Race Leader Jersey to change hands to the third owner since the race began on Sunday and extending his lead 23 seconds over Bernal, now second in the overall standings.
Strange to see Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) not in his rainbow jersey – 60th place in the TT
4th place for Lawson Craddock (EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale)
3rd placed Tao Geoghegan Hart (Sky)
BMC took 2nd place with Patrick Bevin
Read the PEZ interview with Patrick Bevin HERE.
Stage winner and overall leader – Tejay van Garderen (BMC)
Stage 4 time trial winner and new overall leader, Tejay van Garderen (BMC): “Today was special motivation… I had my girls here, I had memories here from five years ago. I didn’t expect it to go quite this well but I kind of had it in the back of my mind on Gibraltar if I can keep it to within a minute, I can maybe take it today. Today was going to be my big power play, and I’m glad I was able to produce one. It feels great. We really just need to worry about that stage into Tahoe, but we have a really strong team, and the motivation’s going to be high and if you’re going to want to beat me, you’re going to have to go to the bitter end.”
Amgen Tour of California Stage 4 Result:
1. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC in 40:47
2. Patrick Bevin (NZ) BMC at 0:07
3. Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB) Sky at 0:32
4. Lawson Craddock (USA) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale at 0:46
5. Filippo Ganna (Ita) UAE Team Emirates at 0:49
6. Mikkel Bjerg (Den) Hagens Berman Axeon at 0:53
7. Jack Bauer (NZ) Mitchelton-Scott at 0:55
8. Neilson Powless (USA) LottoNL-Jumbo at 0:56
9. Maciej Bodnar (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe at 0:57
10. Daniel Martinez (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale.
Amgen Tour of California Overall After Stage 4:
1. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC in 12:50:55
2. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky at 0:23
3. Daniel Martinez (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale at 0:37
4. Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB) Sky at 0:52
5. Adam Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott at 1:07
6. Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe at 1:29
7. Brandon McNulty (USA) Rally Cycling at 2:08
8. Laurens De Plus (Bel) Quick-Step Floors at 2:13
9. Kristijan Durasek (Cro) UAE Team Emirates at 2:15
10. Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC at 2:34.