PeloPics: Pascal Ackermann (Bora-Hansgrohe) won the final stage of the Tour de Romandie to take his first professional victory. Primoz Roglic (LottoNL-Jumbo) finished safely in the bunch to hold his overall lead of 8 seconds over Egan Bernal (Sky) and 35 on Richie Porte (BMC).
Immediately after the start, 5 riders took their chance to form the breakaway of the day, and after 25km they had managed to carve out an advantage of 3 minutes, while LottoNL-Jumbo took over responsibility for setting the pace in the main field. At the foot of the last categorized climb of the day, BORA-hansgrohe, together with Bahrain-Merida, set the tempo at the front of the peloton, and the gap to the break began to come down. With 30km remaining, BORA-hansgrohe put down the hammer on the slightly downhill stretch into Geneva, and the escapees’ lead was whittled down quite quickly as they were in the sights of the chasing peloton. The breakaway was caught by the speeding field with 11km left to race, at which point the sprinters’ trains began to get themselves into formation. After a strong job by Rudi Selig to bring Pascal Ackermann into an excellent position to launch himself for the final, the young German sprinter raced across the finish line to celebrate the first professional victory of his career.
The overall positions didn’t change and Primoz Roglic took the overall victory.
The stage 5 break of the day
The peloton chased them down
LottoNL-Jumbo, Bahrain-Merida and Bora-Hansgrohe were the strong teams
The final stage was no problem for the yellow jersey
The big win for Ackermann
The German sprinter seems pleased
Ackermann’s first pro win
Steven Kruijswijk finished 6th overall
Bora-Hansgrohe team work
Final overall win for Primoz Roglic
Ackermann should see more of the podium
There is a big future ahead of Egan Bernal
The final podium: Bernal, Roglic and Porte
Tour de Romandie Stage 5 Result:
1. Pascal Ackermann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe in 4:09:51
2. Michael Morkov (Den) Quick-Step Floors
3. Roberto Ferrari (Ita) UAE Team Emirates
4. Timothy Dupont (Bel) Wanty-Groupe Gobert
5. Rudiger Selig (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe
6. Sonny Colbrelli (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
7. Benjamin Thomas (Fra) Groupama-FDJ
8. Jens Keukeleire (Bel) Lotto Soudal
9. Michael Albasini (Swi) Mitchelton-Scott
10. Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale.
Tour de Romandie Final Overall Result:
1. Primoz Roglic (Slo) LottoNL-Jumbo in 17:09:00
2. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky at 0:08
3. Richie Porte (Aus) BMC at 0:35
4. Jakob Fuglsang (Den) Astana at 1:16
5. Rui Costa (Por) UAE Team Emirates at 1:23
6. Steven Kruijswijk (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo at 2:32
7. Rohan Dennis (Aus) BMC at 2:49
8. Pierre Latour (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale
9. Emanuel Buchmann (Ger) Bora-Hansgrohe at 3:09
10. Daniel Martin (Irl) UAE Team Emirates at 3:12.