PeloPics: Latvian Toms Skujins wins his third stage at the Amgen Tour of California. The Trek-Segafredo rider had won stages in 2015 and 2016. He finished ahead of the American Sean Bennett (Hagens Berman Axeon) who had attacked with him in the last kilometers. Caleb Ewan (Mitchelton-Scott) settled the sprint of the Yellow Jersey group to finish third. Peter Sagan (Bora-Hansgrohe) took the 4th place on the stage. Egan Bernal retained the overall lead by taking 5th place.
Stage winner, Toms Skujins (Trek-Segafredo): “The only time I actually dreamed about it [the stage win] was in the last 300… I expected someone to come from the back full throttle but I guess it had been a hard day for everyone with the wind and just the hard pace. And the breakaway was really strong that went in the beginning. And that all played into my advantage. It’s definitely not the easiest run into the final… I’ve raced on Laguna Seca before and that definitely helped me… I knew how to play it.”
Amgen Tour of California Stage 3 Result:
1. Toms Skujins (Lat) Trek-Segafredo in 4:52:47
2. Sean Bennett (USA) Hagens Berman Axeon at 0:03
3. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott at 0:08
4. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
5. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky
6. Adam Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott
7. Alex Howes (USA) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
8. Tom-Jelte Slagter (Ned) Dimension Data
9. Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC
10. William Barta (USA) Hagens Berman Axeon.
Amgen Tour of California Overall After Stage 3:
1. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky in 12:09:08
2. Rafal Majka (Pol) Bora-Hansgrohe at 0:25
3. Adam Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott at 0:31
4. Antwan Tolhoek (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo at 0:40
5. Kristijan Durasek (Cro) UAE Team Emirates
6. Daniel Martinez (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
7. Mathias Frank (Swi) AG2R-La Mondiale at 0:50
8. Tejay van Garderen (USA) BMC at 1:00
9. Rúben Guerreiro (Por) Trek-Segafredo at 1:11
10. Laurens De Plus (Bel) Quick-Step Floors at 1:14.