Giro: Aitor Gonzalez Wins Stage 8
Kelme’s Aitor Gonzalez won the 8th stage of the Giro d’Italia today – 224km from Capannori to the Umbrian wine town of Orvieto. Gonzalez broke away inside the 1km kite and held off the pack, which was led in by a fast-finishing Francesco Casagrande (Fassa) in 2nd and Saeco’s 2001 Giro winner Gilberto Simoni in 3rd.
The stage was hilited by a break containing Team Coast’s Fabrizio Guidi and 2 others that went within the first kilometers of the race, and which almost got Guidi a stage win, until he was swallowed whole by the bunch at the 2km to go mark.
Jens Heppner of Telekom remains the overall leader for another day, and the rest of gc stays pretty much the same.
Check in later for more news, reactions, and results.
Stage 8 Results:
1. Aitor Gonzalez Jimenez (Spa-Kel) 5.47.54
2. Francesco Casagrande (Ita-Fas) +.04
3. Gilberto Simoni (Ita-Sae) st
4. Juan M.Garate Cepa (Spa-Lam) st
5. Cristian Moreni (Ita-Als) st
6. Ruggero Marzoli (Ita-Fot) st
7. Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita-Tac) st
8. Davide Rebellin (Ita-Gst) st
9. Michael Boogerd (Ned-Rab) st
10. Paolo Savoldelli (Ita-(Ina) st
1. Jens Heppner (Ger) Team Telekom 41.13.28
2. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Mapei-Quick Step 3.33
3. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Landbouwkrediet-Colnago 3.50
4. Pietro Caucchioli (Ita) Alessio 3.57
5. Francesco Casagrande (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 4.08
6. Pietro Caucchioli (Ita-Als)
7. Angel Vicioso Arcos (Spa) Kelme-Costa Blanca 4.09
8. Paolo Savoldelli (Ita) Index Alexia 4.27
9. Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco-Longoni Sport 4.29
10. Wladimir Belli (Ita-Fas) 4.39