McEwan Wins, Garzelli Loses – Giro Stage 10
Lotto’s Robbie McEwan won his second stage of the Giro today after a 151km run from Maddaloni to Benevento in central south Italy. McEwan outsprinted Fabrizio Guidi (Team Coast) and Giovanni Lombardi (Acqua & Sapone), while the Lion King Mario Cipollini was conspicuous by his absence in the finale.
The main event of the day was the expulsion of Mapei’s Stefano Garzelli for failing a second screening of his sample taken after the stgae to Liege last week. Garzelli has officially tested positive for banned diuretic Probenecid, which can be used as a masking agent for other performance enhancing drugs. Garzelli maintains his innocence and has stated he may leave cycling altogether.
The doping spectre raised its ugly head again when it was announced that last year’s winner of Gilberto Simoni tested positive for a derivative of cocaine after the Giro del Trentino earlier this Spring.
Is anyone else wondering why there seem to be so many positive dope tests inthe Italina races? Are the authorities just that much more strict, or are the riders that much more willing to risk getting caught? We can only hope these actions are getting us closer to a drug free sport.
Stage 10 Results
1. Robbie McEwen (Bel-Lot) 2.57.24
2. Fabrizio Guidi (Ita-Coa) – all .s.t
3. Giovanni Lombardi (Ita-Acq)
4. Mykhaylo Khalilov (Ukr-Clm)
5. Massimo Strazzer (Ita-Pho)
6. Cristian Moreni (Ita-Als)
7. Mariano Piccoli (Ita-Lam)
8. Uros Mrun (Slo-Fot)
9. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr-Lan)
10. Davide Rebellin (Ita-Gst)
1. Jens Heppner (Ger-Tel) 48.49.48
2. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr-Lan) + 3.50
3. Eddy Mazzoleni (Ita-Tac) +3.57
4. Francesco Casagrande (Ita-Fas) +4.0
5. Angel Vicioso Arcos (Spa-Kel) + 4.09