World’s Prep: Giro dell’Emilia
The Giro dell’Emilia is one of the most important races in Italy, just look at the riders present at this race: Jalabert, Bartoli, Virenque, Frank Vandenbroucke, Basso and Rebellin just to name a few. All the riders are here to prepare for a good World Championship.
204 kms, from Cento to Bologna, on a route that presented a hill before the finish of 2 kms, with a max slope of 18%! Really impressive. And the right escape is the one of 8 men containing Rebellin, Pellizzotti, Fontanelli, Bartoli, Basso and Rasmussen. And
these 3 last men went away on the penultimate lap. They collaborated until the last lap when Rasmussen did the forcing but it’s Bartoli, the “Warrior”, with an impressive sprint to go away with Basso in the last 300 metres.
And just a few days ago, Franco Ballerini, the manager of the Italian team, said that Michele Bartoli won’t run at Zolder for Italy.
A good performance of Vdb who is finding the best push on the pedals.
1) Michele Bartoli (Ita) in 5h14’12” average speed 38,956 km/h
2) Ivan Basso (Ita) s.t.
3) Michael Rasmussen (Dan) a 7″
4) Fabiano Fontanelli (Ita) a 1’13”
5) Davide Rebellin (Ita) s.t.
6) Franco Pellizotti (Ita) s.t.
7) Leonardo Giordani (Ita) a 1’35”
8) Gianluca Tonetti (Ita) s.t.
9) Volodimyr Gustov (Ucr) a 1’39”
10) Marius Sabaliauskas (Lit) a 1’58”