Can The Driver Be Sued in a Car-Bicycle Accident?
If a motorist hits you while riding your bicycle, you can sue the driver for personal injury. In many cases, motorists are liable for damages when they strike cyclists. This is because cyclists have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers on the road and are afforded the same level of protection under the law. A cyclist injured in a car collision can recover compensation for medical expenses, lost income, and pain and suffering.
Rights and responsibilities
The number of bicyclists on the road continues to grow as people discover the many benefits of bicycling. Bicycles offer a great workout, can help you get to work, and are a lot of fun. In addition to these reasons, more and more people are biking for transportation because it’s good for the environment.
It is important to understand the rights and responsibilities that both motorists and bicyclists have. Bicyclists are considered vehicle operators, like drivers, and are subject to the same laws and regulations as drivers. This means that bicyclists have the right to use the full lane when there is not enough room for a car and a bike to share the lane, and they are also required to use lights at night.
The fatality rates keep getting up
According to data released by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the number of bicyclists killed in traffic crashes reached an all-time high in 2019. Almost 850 bicyclists were killed, and an estimated 49,000 were injured. This is a 4% increase in fatalities and a 2% increase in injuries from 2018.
Bicyclists are particularly vulnerable to being hit by cars, as a car’s frame or airbags do not protect them. In addition, many drivers do not expect to see cyclists on the road, especially at night or in bad weather.
There are several things drivers can do to help keep cyclists safe:
- Be aware of your surroundings
- when reversing or turning, use turn signals,
- and allow plenty of space when passing cyclists.
Following the collision, you can take the following precautions to keep yourself safe:
- Count the damage to both you and your bike.
- If you require medical assistance, dial 911.
- Call the police and provide them with your version of events so that it can be included in the report.
- Obtain the driver’s name, address, phone number, insurance information, and the vehicle’s license plate
- the names and phone numbers of any witnesses you speak with
- Take photos of the accident scene.
- Picture your bicycle, helmet, and other gear.
- Keep a record of all losses and expenses associated with your injuries, and
- Consult an attorney
Contact a personal injury lawyer
- If you are hit by a car while riding your bike, the quickest and easiest way to get compensation is probably through an insurance claim.
- Most bike accident lawyers at RIL in Chicago can help you settle your case out of court, so it is important to have a personal injury lawyer with proper litigation experience to represent you.
- Insurance companies will do everything in their power to reduce the amount of money they have to pay out, so it is important to have a lawyer who knows how to deal with them.
When you get into a car accident, you think about whether or not you need to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company. In some cases, you might also be able to file a claim with your own insurance company.
If you’re in an accident and the other driver is at fault, you should contact their insurance company as soon as possible. You will need to give them your name, contact information, and insurance information. You should also get the other driver’s information, including their name, contact information, and insurance information.
Contacting the other driver’s insurance company is important, even if you think the other driver is not at fault. By contacting the insurance company, you can ensure that the accident is properly documented and that you receive any benefits to which you may be entitled. You may also be able to file a claim against the other driver’s insurance policy. A personal injury lawyer can guide you in the process.
If you are injured in a car-bike accident, there are a few things to remember. First and foremost, you should contact an attorney as soon as possible. If you have any questions about the accident or your rights, an attorney can help answer them. Secondly, if the other driver was at fault, they may be liable for your injuries. Finally, even if the other driver was at fault, don’t assume you can’t sue them. There are many factors to consider when filing suit, and an attorney can help walk you through the process.