Zipp SL-70 Aero Tops in Performance, Functionality
Zipp’s new SL-70 Aero is, in every way, a high-performance bar. This new unidirectional carbon handlebar is packed with the innovations for best-in-class fit, ergonomics and aerodynamic performance. With its wing-shaped bar top, the SL-70 Aero features Zipp’s latest bar refinements while building on the trend-setting aero legacy of the VukaSprint.
– Distinctive wing-shaped top designed using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), the same supercomputing software used to design Zipp Firecrest wheels.
– A traditional round-tube handlebar top creates drag of about 0.74 Newtons, which we found requires about 7.5 watts of effort at 30mph (48.3kph) to overcome. The SL-70 Aero exhibits just 0.11N of drag, which means a savings of 6.4 watts over a round bar.
– 30 percent stiffer than VukaSprint.
Fit and Comfort
– Zipp bars designed using feedback from top fitters and pros.
– Popular 70mm drop shape especially tuned for SL-70 Aero, allowing a proper fit without compromising stem length and steering control.
– Revised 10 degree ramp angle to the brake hoods eliminated need for up-rotated bars.
– Ample wrist clearance for riding and sprinting in drops.
Easy Setup, Race Ready
– Features Zipp’s Rapid Routing™ system, first developed for the Vuka Stealth integrated aero system, for easy internal cable routing.
– UCI legal.
– Compatible with all mechanical brake/gear systems and all electronic gear systems. Not clip compatible.
– Perfect to pair with Zipp SL Sprint carbon stem.
– The SL-70 Aero already Raced this season by the technology-minded Omega Pharma – Quick-Step Cycling Team.
“This bar is the perfect mix of aerodynamics and stiffness with ergonomic shape. It’s confortable and at the same time proved to be the fastest bar in Zipp collection.”
Rolf Aldag, Sport and Development Manager for Omega Pharma – Quick-Step
“I used it in the Prologue of Tour of Dubai and I can say that it is a fast handlebar. The Zipp SL-70 Aero is the closest thing to get to the position of TT bike even on the road.… It looks good and it gives me the opportunity to go in an aero position with the arms inside the handlebar.”
Tony Martin of Omega Pharma – Quick-Step rider, world time trial champion
Sizes: 38, 40, 42, 44 cm (center-to-center)
Weight: 240g (42cm)
Material: Unidirectional carbon
Ramp angle: 10 degrees
Drop outsweep: 4 degrees
MSRP: $350, €300, £266
Retail Availability: March 2014