Abu Dhabi Stage 1: Kristoff In – Cav Out!
PeloPics: The first stage of the Abu Dhabi Tour started badly for Mark Cavendish and very well for Alexander Kristoff. Cav crashed during the neutralized zone and had to abandon before a pedal was turned in anger and Kristoff won the sprint against tough opposition; Andrea Guardini, Caleb Ewan, Elia Viviani and Dan McLay.
Not a good start for Cavendish
UAE Team Emirates’ Alexander Kristoff produced a sprint masterclass in Madinat Zayed to secure the victory in the opening stage of the Abu Dhabi Tour. The Norwegian showcased why he is considered one of the world’s top sprinters by battling through a hectic, bunched sprint finish to claim the red jersey for UAE Team Emirates on home soil.
Suspected concussion brought Cav’s Abu Dhabi Tour to an end
Cavendish came down when a car stopped suddenly due to the automatic braking system. Cavendish did remount and join the peloton, but had to abandon due to concussion and whiplash.
Hot and dry in Abu Dhabi
The race, a 190km route through the Abu Dhabi desert, saw riders battle 33 degree heat and tackle strong head-winds throughout. With just 2km of the race complete, the breakaway riders made their move and built up a substantial four minute lead on the peloton. At 150km that group had whittled down to one lone rider and despite leading for over 170km, the peloton timed their chase perfectly and caught up with 13km to go.
Toms Skujins was one of the riders to try his luck in the sun
Life’s a beach!
World time trial champion Tom Dumoulin
Warmer in Abu Dhabi than Flanders
Alexander Kristoff hit the front to hold off Guardini and Ewan
As the race came to a climax in front of a packed Emirati crowd at Madinat Zayed, the cheering fans spurred on the relentless Kristoff as he crossed the line to pick up his second stage victory for his new team, following his stage victory at the Tour of Oman.
Second win of the 2018 season for the European champion
First Abu Dhabi leaders jersey for Kristoff
Abu Dhabi stage 1:
Abu Dhabi Tour Stage 1 Result:
1. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) UAE Team Emirates in 4:48:24
2. Andrea Guardini (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
3. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
4. Elia Viviani (Ita) Quick-Step Floors
5. Daniel McLay (GB) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
6. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita) Bahrain-Merida
7. Michael Bresciani (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
8. Danny van Poppel (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo
9. Rudy Barbier (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale
10. André Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal.
Abu Dhabi Tour Overall After Stage 1:
1. Alexander Kristoff (Nor) UAE Team Emirates in 4:48:14
2. Andrea Guardini (Ita) Bardiani-CSF at 0:04
3. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott at 0:06
4. Nikolay Trusov (Rus) Gazprom-Rusvelo
5. Vincenzo Albanese (Ita) Bardiani-CSF
6. Toms Skujins (Lat) Trek-Segafredo at 0:07
7. Damiano Caruso (Ita) BMC at 0:09
8. Elia Viviani (Ita) Quick-Step Floors at 0:10
9. Daniel McLay (GB) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale
10. Niccolo Bonifazio (Ita) Bahrain-Merida.