Degenkolb And Bennett – Winners!
PeloPic: Thursday was a busy day in the World of cycling with the first day of the Mallorca Challenge in Spain and the prelude to the Caden Evans Great Ocean Road Race, the Towards Zero Race in Australia. We have video and photo gallery from both races.
Degenkolb wins first day of Challenge Mallorca
John Degenkolb opened his season with a victory, sprinting to the win in the first day of the Challenge Cyclista Mallorca from Campos to Ses Salines.
Trek-Segafredo surrounded Degenkolb with a team of Classics and lead-out specialists for the 178-kilometer race, giving the German sprinter the support he needed for a much-needed win with his last almost a year ago in the Dubai Tour.
The first race in Mallorca started easily
Bora-Hansgrohe and Lotto Soudal were in control for most of the race
The pace was fast on the Spanish island
Degenkolb got the better of Sondre Enger (Israel Cycling Academy) and Jasper De Buyst (Lotto Soudal)
Mallorca day 1 podium
Trofeo Campos-Porreres-Felanitx-Ses Salines:
Trofeo Campos-Porreres-Felanitx-Ses Salines Result:
1. John Degenkolb (Ger) Trek-Segafredo in 4:02:18
2. Sondre Enger (Nor) Israel Cycling Academy
3. Jasper De Buyst (Bel) Lotto Soudal
4. Kenny Dehaes (Bel) WB Aqua Protect Veranclassic
5. Albert Torres Barcelo (Spa) National team
6. Xavier Cañellas (Spa) National team
7. Daniele Bennati (Ita) Movistar
8. Erik Baska (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
9. Leonardo Basso (Ita) Sky
10. Aaron Grosser (Ger) Team Sauerland Nrw P B Sk.
Victory for Sam Bennett at Towards Zero Race Melbourne
After the Tour Down Under, Bora-Hansgrohe turned its attention towards the first of two events at the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race in Australia. Today saw the curtain raiser kermesse-style Towards Zero Race Melbourne, a fast-paced circuit race in the state capital. After a breakaway of 7 riders led for most of the day, they were caught in the last lap, with Sam Bennett sprinting to victory.
Warm conditions for the Towards Zero Race
Melbourne was the backdrop for the Towards Zero Race
Towards Zero Race in Melbourne on the Australian Formula 1 Grand Prix track, Albert Park
Bennett beat Elia Viviani (Quick-Step Floors) and Steele von Hoff (Kordamentha Real Estate-Australia)
Strong sprint win from Sam Bennett
Towards Zero Race:
Towards Zero Race – Melbourne Result:
1. Sam Bennett (Irl) Bora-Hansgrohe in 2:29:08
2. Elia Viviani (Ita) Quick-Step Floors
3. Steele von Hoff (Aus) Kordamentha Real Estate-Australia
4. Nikias Arndt (Ger) Sunweb
5. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
6. Jens Debusschere (Bel) Lotto Soudal
7. Mads Wurtz Schmidt (Den) Katusha-Alpecin
8. Lukasz Wisniowski (Pol) Sky
9. Robert Wagner (Ger) LottoNL-Jumbo
10. Mike Teunissen (Ned) Sunweb.