GIRO’18 Stage 14: Zoncolan Photo & Video Gallery!
PeloPics: Two years ago today, May the 20th, Sky’s Chris Froome came alive on the iconic climb of Monte Zoncolan on stage 14 of the Giro d’Italia and threw down the gauntlet to the other GC hopefuls. The pink jersey of Simon Yates (Mitchelton-Scott) held the Kenyan born rider at 6 seconds and overall second placed Tom Dumoulin (Sunweb) crossed the line 37 second off the winner’s time to keep his chances alive. We look back with this Giro photo gallery.
# You can see more photos and the full PEZ Race Report from the 2028 Giro d’Italia Stage 14 HERE. #
# Read the Pez’s first-hand account of his own battle up this brutal climb here. #
The star of the day was the climb its self. The estimated 100,000 ‘Tifosi’ brought the excitement and colour of the day to the Zoncolan. Cor Vos had his team of photographers on the road of the “la Porta dell’Inferno” with its average gradient of 12% and ramps of 20%. Here is the pick of the best shots of the day.
A peaceful start in San Vito al Tagliamento
The pink and the ciclamino jerseys – Simon Yates and Elia Viviani
The retro Italian bike brigade
Before the storm of the Zoncolan
The peloton took it easy… at first
This way to hell
Zoncolan: Spiritual Asceticism
Wout Poels buried himself for Froome
Those damn dinosaurs!
Cycling isn’t dead
Canada’s Michael Woods
The low cloud wasn’t going to ruin the day
Chris Froome made his move through the fans
Simon Yates held Froome to 6 seconds and put time into Dumoulin – Is 1:24 enough?
It was close, but Yates just couldn’t pull Froome back
It was so close
Mechanics on motos
Many riders got pushes on the steep sections
Froome must be feeling better about the Giro d’Italia
That is some crowd
The Zoncolan win for Froome – What next?
Tom Dumoulin might just have saved his chance of a Giro two in a row
Highlights from stage 14 of the 2018 Giro d’Italia by inCycle:
Giro d’Italia Stage 14 Result:
1. Chris Froome (GB) Sky in 5:25:31
2. Simon Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott at 0:06
3. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida at 0:23
4. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana at 0:25
5. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Sunweb at 0:37
6. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ at 0:42
7. Wout Poels (Ned) Sky at 1:07
8. Sébastien Reichenbach (Swi) Groupama-FDJ at 1:19
9. Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana at 1:35
10. Michael Woods (Can) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale at 1:43.
Giro d’Italia Overall After Stage 14:
1. Simon Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott in 61:19:51
2. Tom Dumoulin (Ned) Sunweb at 1:24
3. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita) Bahrain-Merida at 1:37
4. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) Groupama-FDJ at 1:46
5. Chris Froome (GB) Sky at 3:10
6. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col) Astana at 3:42
7. Richard Carapaz (Ecu) Movistar at 3:56
8. George Bennett (NZ) LottoNL-Jumbo at 4:04
9. Pello Bilbao (Spa) Astana at 4:29
10. Patrick Konrad (Aut) Bora-Hansgrohe at 4:43.