Quick-Step Again – Schachmann In Catalunya
PeloPics: Maximilian Schachmann gave the Quick-Step Floors team yet another win to add to their 2018 tally. The young German rider out-sprinted Diego Rubio (Burgos BH) at the end of stage 6 of the Volta a Catalunya. Sam Bennett (Bora-Hansgrohe) brought in the peloton 18 seconds later for third place. Alejandro Valverde (Movistar) finished in the bunch to hold overall lead with one stage to go.
Schachmann and Rubio broke away early to gain a 4 minute lead on the shortened stage. Due to the weather the 194 kilometers had been cut to 117 kilometers. Mitchelton-Scott, Bahrain-Merida and Bora-Hansgrohe eventually started to chase to set up their sprinters, but they left their effort just that little bit too late. Five kilometers out the pair still had just under half a minute and held them by 18 seconds at the line where Schachmann took his first WorldTour win.
Volta a Catalunya Stage 6 Result:
1. Maximilian Schachmann (Ger) Quick-Step Floors in 2:34:25
2. Diego Rubio Hernandez (Spa) Burgos-BH
3. Sam Bennett (Irl) Bora-Hansgrohe at 0:18
4. Matej Mohoric (Slo) Bahrain-Merida
5. Roberto Ferrari (Ita) UAE Team Emirates
6. Enrique Sanz Unzue (Spa) Euskadi Basque Country-Murias
7. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky
8. Danilo Wyss (Swi) BMC
9. José Joaquin Rojas (Spa) Movistar
10. Benoit Jarrier (Fra) Fortuneo-Samsic.
Volta a Catalunya Overall After Stage 6:
1. Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar in 24:56:48
2. Egan Bernal (Col) Sky at 0:16
3. Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar at 0:26
4. Pierre Latour (Fra) AG2R-La Mondiale at 0:48
5. Simon Yates (GB) Mitchelton-Scott at 1:12
6. Marc Soler (Spa) Movistar at 1:18
7. George Bennett (NZ) LottoNL-Jumbo at 1:20
8. Hugh Carthy (GB) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale at 1:24
9. Daniel Martinez (Col) EF Education First-Drapac p/b Cannondale at 1:26
10. Jesper Hansen (Den) Astana at 1:28.