TDU’18: And the Winner Is….
PeloPic: Daryl Impey (Mitchelton-Scott) held onto his lead from stage 5 for the final overall win in the Santos Tour Down Under on Sunday.
There was no change to the podium after the traditional stage 6 city circuit, won by Andre Greipel (Lotto Soudal) in a bunch sprint, with Richie Porte (BMC) missed out on becoming the first back to back champion on a count back of previous stage results which saw Impey claim the ochre jersey.
The peloton take on the final stage
Multiple attacks early in the stage saw a two-rider breakaway go clear with more than two minutes’ advantage during the 90km stage, but the sprinters’ teams were too strong and brought the race back together with three, of twenty, laps to go. It was then up to the Lotto Soudal team to control the peloton for Greipel to take the final stage win.
Overall leader, Daryl Impey, played it safe in the peloton
Greipel’s Lotto Soudal team worked its magic
Greipel held off Caleb Ewan and Peter Sagan
Another win for Greipel
The Mitchelton-Scott team were pleased with the overall win
A big grin for the big guy!
The big win for Impey
2nd overall, Richie Porte (BMC): “Obviously, I would have liked to be first but with hindsight, Daryl Impey did a fantastic race. He rode smart all week, he’s obviously in great form. So, to win Willunga for a fifth time in a row feels pretty good. Coming back as the defending champion, it would have been nice to win again but I think my team did all that we could to try and win the race. We down swinging yesterday. All things considered, I’m pretty happy to be second here with a stage win as well.”
A happy Daryl Impey
2018 Santos Tour Down Under winner, Daryl Impey (Mitchelton-Scott): “It is a relief, you can never say it is done until it’s done. We had things under control especially with the experienced guys like Mat Hayman, Damien Howson did some awesome work on the front this week so I was in good hands. Wearing the yellow jersey at the Tour de France was a magical moment but this is very close to that. I worked really hard for this one and especially knowing how important it is to the team and the sponsors. It was a high-pressure race for us, everyone expects a lot so to top it off with a win is very special.”
TDU tattoo of the day
Final stage 6:
Santos Tour Down Under Stage 6 Result:
1. Andre Greipel (Ger) Lotto Soudal in 2:01:19
2. Caleb Ewan (Aus) Mitchelton-Scott
3. Peter Sagan (Svk) Bora-Hansgrohe
4. Phil Bauhaus (Ger) Sunweb
5. Elia Viviani (Ita) Quick-Step Floors
6. Steele von Hoff (Aus) UniSA-Australia
7. Simone Consonni (Ita) UAE Team Emirates
8. Mads Pedersen (Den) Trek-Segafredo
9. Carlos Barbero Cuesta (Spa) Movistar
10. Mads Würtz Schmidt (Den) Katusha-Alpecin.
Santos Tour Down Under Final Overall Result:
1. Daryl Impey (RSA) Mitchelton-Scott in 20:03:34
2. Richie Porte (Aus) BMC
3. Tom Jelte Slagter (Ned) Dimension Data at 0:16
4. Diego Ulissi (Ita) UAE Team Emirates at 0:20
5. Dries Devenyns (Bel) Quick-Step Floors
6. Egan Arley Bernal Gomez (Col) Sky
7. Gorka Izagirre Insausti (Spa) Bahrain-Merida
8. Luis León Sánchez (Spa) Astana at 0:23
9. Ruben Guerreiro (Por) Trek-Segafredo
10. Robert Gesink (Ned) LottoNL-Jumbo at 0:24.