Georgia’08 St.3: A Long Pause Between Sips
Two years ago, Greg Henderson went on an almost unprecedented romp at Philly Week taking out Reading and Philly just a few days apart. He moved on to T-Mobile and faded from view in 2007…but he returned to America’s biggest stage on Wednesday in Gainesville.
2006 was a huge year for Greg Henderson, the Kiwi track star gone roadie hit a brilliant purple patch after injury derailed the first part of his season. He came back with a stage at Mt. Hood, then Reading, then Philly, to go along with stages at the Jayco Bay Classic and the Trusthouse Classic. His 06 campaign was more than enough to get the attention of T-Mobile, and off he went to Europe…and we’ve heard little since.
After an aggressive finale on the tough finishing circuits in Gainesville, Georgia on Wednesday, Hendy showed that he was back after a fantastic High Road leadout from George Hincapie, then Andre Greipel, to take his first win in a long while.
The win was also good enough for the overall lead.
High Road had the leadout well in hand…
Greipel managed to hold on for second after a great leadout for Henderson.
Christian Vandevelde enjoying the fun in Washington before the start.
Nobody was too worried about the long day in front of them in Washington.
The break rolls through Madison County.
Entering Gainesville, the pace was very, very quick – quick enough to see former leader, Ivan Dominguez, dispatched on the finishing circuits.
Rory Sutherland took a late flyer and flew the HealthNet banner well, but alas, there was nothing doing against High Road.
Henderson, Greipel, and Slipstream’s Farrar.
Hey, why not right?
The TTT at Road Atlanta today. It’s going to be wicked hard day for the riders on the challenging Road Atlanta circuit…keep it tuned to PEZ for the latest!
Stage 3 Results
1. Greg Henderson (NZl), Team High Road, 3:55:45
2. Andre Greipel (G), Team High Road, 3:55:45
3. Tyler Farrar* (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 3:55:45
4. Antonio Colom (Sp), Astana, 3:55:45
5. Fred Rodriguez (USA), Rock Racing, 3:55:45
6. Andrew Pinfold (CAN), SYM, 3:55:45
7. Dominique Rollin (CAN), Toyota-United, 3:55:45
8. Richard England (Aus), Bissell Pro Cycling, 3:55:45
9. Jonathan Cantwell (Aus), Jittery Joe’s Coffee, 3:55:45
10. Bradley Mcgee (Aus), CSC, 3:55:45
Overall After Three Stages
1. Greg Henderson (NZl), Team High Road, 10:58:17
2. Tyler Farrar* (USA), Slipstream-Chipotle, 10:58:26
3. Juan Jose Haedo (ARG), CSC, 10:58:28
4. Nicholas Sanderson* (Aus), Jelly Belly, 10:58:30
5. Moises Aldape (MEX), TT1, 10:58:31
6. Andre Greipel (G), Team High Road, 10:58:32
7. Ivan Stevic (SRB), Toyota-United, 10:58:34
8. Christian Meier* (CAN), SYM, 10:58:35
9. Scott Nydam (USA), BMC, 10:58:37
10. Andrew Pinfold (CAN), SYM, 10:58:38
Be sure to check out out man Darrell Parks’ site over at: