Utah Diary: Team Axeon’s Daniel Eaton
Rider Diary by Axeon Team’s Daniel Eaton
The Larry Miller Tour of Utah has quickly climbed onto the podium with the best stage races in America, offering tough terrain at very high altitude, a growing list of international teams, and a chance for young riders to show their stuff in the big leagues. Daniel Eaton of Team Axeon filed these notes after stage three ended in Bountiful, UT.
Being on the starting line of one of the biggest races in the world with a jersey was one of the most surreal moments of my short career. The game plan for the day was to try and join the break with me, Greg or Chris and to save Ruben and Logan for the finish. After 40min of unrelenting amount of attacking, at 60+ kph into a tail wind, the break finally went unfortunately without us. There was 6 riders up the road with a lot of horse power making UHC’s job of controlling just that more difficult.
Daniel Eaton and his young Axeon team mates have a big chance to race against, and learn from, some of the best riders in pro cycling.
We went over the one category 2 climb of the day at a solid pace but nothing to dramatic being that it was so early on. The stage was more or less going along without any hiccups when at about 80kph a massive pile up happened on the decent of a mid race category 3. I was just able to avoid it, but Chris and Tao where caught up. Lucky they seem to be ok and able to race on.
After a regrouping the race was now on for the bottom of the first accent of the next category 3 climb. The climb was run twice and part of the final two 9mile circuits. Featuring grades up to 15% it was no easy task. I made it about half way up the first time then my legs exploded. The effort of yesterday’s break away had caught up with my all in one go. I rode the rest of the stage with 5 others feeling a little defeated.
Once I got to the team van and found out Logan had won though all I could do was smile and cheer. With 176km stage 3 down, me and the rest of the boys have earned the right to do it all again tomorrow.
Tour of Utah 2015 Results Stage 3
1. OWEN Logan AXEON CYCLING TEAM BDT 4:12:40 0:00:00 10
2. BOOKWALTER Brent BMC RACING TEAM BMC 4:12:40 0:00:00 6
3. AVILA VANEGAS Edwin Alcibiades COLOMBIA COL 4:12:40 0:00:00 4
4. KOCJAN Jure TEAM SMARTSTOP SSC 4:12:40 0:00:00
5. SMITH Dion HINCAPIE RACING TEAM HSD 4:12:40 0:00:00 4
6. BERHANE Natnael MTN-QHUBEKA p/b SAMSUNG MTN 4:12:40 0:00:00
7. REIJNEN Kiel UNITEDHEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL CYCLING TEAM UHC 4:12:40 0:00:00
8. CARPENTER Robin HINCAPIE RACING TEAM HSD 4:12:40 0:00:00
9. PHELAN Adam DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING DPC 4:12:40 0:00:00
10. COLBRELLI Sonny BARDIANI CSF BAR 4:12:40 0:00:00
Tour of Utah 2015 Results Stage 4
1. YOUNG Eric OPTUM p/b KELLY BENEFIT STRATEG 4:47:57 4:47:57
2. SMITH Dion HINCAPIE RACING TEAM 4:47:58 s.t.
3. KOCJAN Jure TEAM SMARTSTOP 4:47:58 s.t.
4. MURPHY John UNITEDHEALTHCARE PROFESSIONAL C 4:47:58 s.t.
5. BOOKWALTER Brent BMC RACING TEAM 4:47:59 s.t.
6. COLBRELLI Sonny BARDIANI CSF 4:48:00 s.t.
7. MCCABE Travis TEAM SMARTSTOP 4:48:00 s.t.
8. GUERREIRO Ruben AXEON CYCLING TEAM 4:48:00 s.t.
9. SQUIRE Robbie HINCAPIE RACING TEAM 4:48:00 s.t.
10. KERBY Jordan DRAPAC PROFESSIONAL CYCLING 4:48:01 s.t.