Utah Diary: Team Axeon’s Daniel Eaton
Rider Diary by Axeon Team’s Daniel Eaton
The 2015 Tour of Utah was very successful for the Continental Axeon team; a stage win and a few jerseys were worn, much better than some of the WorldTour teams. Daniel Eaton of Team Axeon gave us his thoughts after stage 3 and now he sums up the finalé of the Tour of Utah after the finish in Park City.
The last day of a really tough stage race always has a mixed atmosphere among the riders. Some are incredibly motivated for a stage result, some are gunning for the last chance at the break and a handful are thinking GC. Then there is the other 50% that just want to get to the finish line, grab a beer and a slice of pizza and call it a day.
The race started out quick but almost instantly a break of about 10 rolled away. This was opposite from last year being the break took 50km to go. Once gone Garmin started chasing and the normal formula for pro bike racing was set in motion. 5km from the bottom of the first climb all the teams started fighting for position making it obvious that it was going to be flat out. Left turn into the climb and bang it was carnage. By the time we reached the top there was maybe 30 guys. Everyone sat up though, and the race was all back together with about 25km left to the bottom of empire pass.
Coming into the climb there was the same atmosphere in the peloton as being 3km from the finish of a bunch sprint. Lead out trains, flying elbows and screeching breaks. We hit the climb and the top GC riders did there thing while the rest of us just cruised to the finish.
When the dust settled at the end of day 7 we had won a KOM jersey, a stage, and been in the most aggressive riders jersey, best team jersey and in the break 6/7 days. Now we are making our way to Colorado to start another 7 days of #provingit.
Tour of Utah Stage 7 Result:
1. Lachlan Norris (Aus) Drapac in 3:14:51
2. Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC
3. Natnael Berhane (Eri) MTN-Qhubeka at 0:20
4. Robbie Squire (USA) Hincapie
5. Christopher Horner (USA) Airgas-Safeway
6. Frank Schleck (Lux) Trek
7. Lachlan Morton (Aus) Jelly Belly p/b Maxxis
8. Daniel Martínez (Col) Colombia
9. Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski (USA) Cannondale-Garmin
10. Rob Britton (Can) Team SmartStop at 0:48
16. Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB) Axeon Cycling Team at 1:44.
Tour of Utah Final Overall Result:
1. Joseph Lloyd Dombrowski (USA) Cannondale-Garmin in 28:06:48
2. Michael Woods (Can) Optum p/b Kelly Benefit Strategies at 0:50
3. Brent Bookwalter (USA) BMC at 1:05
4. Frank Schleck (Lux) Trek at 1:07
5. Christopher Horner (USA) Airgas-Safeway at 1:09
6. Lachlan Norris (Aus) Drapac at 1:12
7. Natnael Berhane (Eri) MTN-Qhubeka at 1:22
8. Daniel Martínez (Col) Colombia at 1:41
9. Robbie Squire (USA) Hincapie at 1:46
10. Lachlan Morton (Aus) Jelly Belly p/b Maxxis at 1:50
13. Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB) Axeon Cycling Team at 4:25.